Wild & Rugged
Black Mountain Caravan Park
Llanddeusant, Llangadog SA19 9YG. ★ ★
blackmountainholidays.co.uk 01550 740217
Located in the Breacon Beacons National Park, this small site is all about getting up close and personal with nature. It enjoys unrivalled views over the spectacular Fan Brycheiniog and the Camarthenshire Fans. The touring pitches are restricted so as to preserve the wild and rugged atmosphere.
Facilities: Electric hook-up, gas refills, dogs welcome, showers, toilets, laundry, chemical toilet disposal, children’s playground, bar.
Erwlon Caravan & Camping Park
Brecon Road, Llandovery SA20 0RD. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ► ► ► ►
erwlon.co.uk 01550 721021
Set in the foothills of the Brecon Beacons, Erwlon is a great spot to base yourself for time out exploring these wild and rugged hills. This family run park offers a warm welcome and excellent award winning facilities, and with just 40 pitches it has a cosy feel. In addition its eco credentials are second to none - in fact it has been awarded the David Bellamy Gold Award for Conservation!
Facilities: Wi-Fi, freezer facilities, bbq area, battery charging point, chemical disposal, children’s playground, disabled facilities, dogs welcome, drain hook-up, electric hook-up, fishing, gas available, hard standing, laundry room, other pets welcome, showers, telephone, toilet block, washing up facilities, water hook-up.
Llandovery Caravan Park
Church Bank, Llandovery SA20 0DT. ★ ★
llandovery-caravan-camping-park.co.uk 07970 650606
Lying at the head of the Towy Valley and nestled between the Brecon Beacons and Cambrian Mountains, Llandovery Caravan and Camping Park is a wonderfully open area with 18 acres of lush grasslands. The surrounding countryside is well known for its unspoilt beauty and has many walking trails to suit all levels of energy and experience. Take time to stroll around the ancient market town of Llandovery itself or enjoy longer hikes to nearby lakes such as the mystical Llyn y Fan Fach and the Llyn Brianne reservoir, both of which are teeming with wildlife.
Facilities: Hard standing, electric hook-up, water hook-up, bbq area, pets welcome, showers, dishwashing facilities, children’s playground.
Harford, Llanwrda SA19 8DT. ★ ★ ★ ★ ► ► ►
springwaterlakes.com 01558 650788
Set in 20 acres of the beautiful South West Wales countryside, overlooked by the Cambrian Mountains, this is a truly stunning location. This picturesque site has 4 fishing lakes and is also centrally located for river fishing on the Towy, Cothi and Teifi, which are some of the best salmon and sea-trout rivers in Wales.
Facilities: Electric, showers, toilets, dishwashing facilities, fishing, dogs welcome.
Spend a week under canvas getting to know Carmarthenshire’s wild and rugged landscapes with this two centre tour...
Day 1 - 3
- Stay at Black Mountain Caravan Park.
- Visit the Red Kite feeding station located just 50 metres from the campsite. Marvel as over 40 birds regularly come to feed!
- Visit the mythical sites of Llyn y Fan Fach and Myddfai.
- Head to Black Mountain Activities for a host of outdoor pursuits - from gorge walking and climbing, to kayaking and white water rafting.
Day 4 - 7
- Move to the Erwlon Caravan and Camping.
- Spend a day exploring the castles in the area, including Carreg Cennen, Dinefwr Castle and Kidwelly Castle.
- Head out for a day’s fishing on the Towy.
- Hire a bike and spend a day cycling the Gold Mines Route as recommended by the campsite. This takes in the Dolaucothi Gold Mines which are certainly worth a visit, as well as the RSPB bird reserve just North of Rhandirmwyn. There are a couple of nice pubs en route and plenty of places for a picnic.